Do you have a YouTube channel and outsource its management to freelancers or agencies?
Then you’ll need to add and remove people as admins on your channel. Adding an admin on YouTube is simple and can be done in a few steps. You don’t need to give access to your Google brand account to grant access and can remove people from your account at any time.
This article outlines the simple steps to give access to your YouTube channel.
Why do you need to add a user to your YouTube account?
If you employ someone to manage your social media, edit your YouTube videos or take care of your YouTube marketing, then you’ll need to give them access to your channel!
You have to add someone to your YouTube channel account for them to take any actions on it for you. They can’t make edits on your channel from their own YouTube account.
How to share access to your YouTube channel
This is the easiest way to give someone access to manage your YouTube channel:
- Log in to your YouTube Creator Studio account
- Click on Settings in the bottom right corner
- Choose Permissions, then Manage permissions
- If you manage permissions via your Google brand account, it will open a new window —> click on the blue box that says Manage permissions
- You’ll be redirected to the Google account login page
- Log in to your Google account
- Click the person with the + button in the top right corner
- Type the email address of the person you want to add
- Choose the permission you want to give them: a)Owner b)Manager c)Communications Manager
- Click Invite
- The person you invited will receive an email inviting them to become an admin on your YouTube channel
How to move admin permissions directly to YouTube Creator Studio
You don’t need to add a new user to your YouTube channel via your Google brand account. You can also move your permission granting directly to your YouTube studio.
It will look like this (you won’t be redirected to log in via Google):
- Under permissions in the YouTube Creator Studio, click on Invite in the top right-hand corner
- Follow the same process of adding the email and selecting permissions (you have more options when you do it directly from YouTube)
You can revoke access to your YouTube channel at any time by following the same process you do to add someone. Just change the person's permissions or delete them as a user on your channel.
How to request admin access for a YouTube channel
Are you an agency or freelancer who needs access to your client’s YouTube account? Then you will need to request admin access to manage their YouTube channel.
Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to do this directly from YouTube. To ask for access to someone else’s YouTube channel, you’ll need to ask your client directly. They will then need to add you manually using the steps outlined above.
Share this article with them so they can follow the steps and learn the quickest, simplest way to do it.
Do you manage other marketing assets for your clients?
If you manage other marketing assets for your clients, the good news is it’s now easier than ever to get access to them!
We created Leadsie to prevent the back and forth of calls and emails to get access to client accounts.
Leadsie is a simple solution that allows you to send 1 link to your client which requests the access you need. You can access Facebook assets, Instagram and Google Ads, Google My Business all with a Leadsie link.
Your client clicks on the Leadsie link you send, logs in to their account and grants you the permissions you need to get to work! It’s even available for mobile, look:
Impress your clients with your smooth onboarding and save a whole bunch of time. 🙌
Try out Leadsie with a 14-day free trial. Set up an account in under 1 minute by entering your email address below👇