What is Google Tag Manager?
Google Tag Manager allows you to manage your website’s tags. Your tags are snippets of code that help track user behaviour on your website or mobile app. You can use Tag Manager to track your advertising ROI, gain a better overview of your website’s analytics and gather information about your users.
Prefer a video? Watch below!
Why do you need to give or request access to your Google Tag Manager?
If a marketing agency or freelancer takes care of your website’s paid traffic and marketing, they will need access to your Google Tag Manager account.
In part 1 of this article, we’ll show you the steps to grant somebody else access to your Google Tag Manager straight from your Google Tag Manager account.
Part 2 is for marketing agencies or freelancers. It covers how to request access to your clients’ Tag Manager accounts.
1. How can you share access to your Google Tag Manager account?
1. Go to tagmanager.google.com
2. It will take you to the overview page with all the accounts you have access to *if you don’t yet have an account, you’ll see this screen:
You will need to set up a new Google Tag Manager account for your website or app.
- If you have an existing account, click on the little cog in the top right-hand corner of the screen for the account you want to give access to
- Under user management, you can add users under the account or the container you want to give access to
- If you have admin permissions, you can click on the blue + symbol in the top right corner and select ‘Add User’
- Type in their email address
- Confirm which account permissions you want to give them and which containers to give them access to
- They confirm the invitation by logging in to their own Google Tag Manager account
2. How to request access to Google Tag Manager if you’re an agency or freelancer?
Unfortunately, there is no way to request access to your clients’ Google Tag Manager account within Tag Manager itself.
But don’t worry! We’ve got you covered.
With Leadsie, you can send a personalised Leadsie request link to your client. The client clicks on the link, logs in to their Google account and grants you the access you’re requesting.
Leadsie does the work in the back end and adds you as a manager to the account.
You can even request access to Google Ads, Analytics, Tag Manager and Google Business Profile (formerly My Business) all with the same link.
If you manage multiple assets for your clients, you can easily request access to their Facebook pages, Facebook Ad accounts and Instagram via Leadsie.
If you want to simplify your client onboarding and make client onboarding hassle-free, then try us out for free for 14 days.
You can create your account in less than a minute below 👇